Listen To The Podcast Episode By Clicking Below
Discussion With Naveen of Notionpress
- Naveen and his friend but they were not happy with the publishing ecosystem in India when they were looking to get their book published.
- When Naveen and his co-founders started Notionpress, they held a short story contest to gauge interest among users. They built a mailing list based onthis contest.
- Notionpress today is 4 year old company. In its first year of operations, they published 3 books in 3 months. In 2015, they published 120 books per month. Revenues in first year were INR 4 million (USD 60,000) and they are on target to hit USD 1 million.
- Notionpress focuses on book sales per author as a metric for their business.
- The company is a full service publishing provider, including marketing,market alignment, editing, and guided publishing.
- The challenge with this approach is that this is not a scalable model.
- Naveen and his co-founders have started Notionpress Academy with the aim of educating authors about the self publishing process. The books, reference material will be at no cost.
- Notionpress accelerator is a program under which authors will get 100,ooo Rupees (nearly USD 1,4000) for marketing of the book. Authors need to have sold 300 books with atleast 30 positive reviews to qualify for this program.
- Litagram is another initiative of Notionpress that is a short story publishing platform similar to Tablo or Pronoun.
- Book publishing in India is a USD 4 billion industry. Education accounts for 70% of the market, trade publications are 7% of the sales (i.e. at USD 300 million).
- India has about 19,000 bookstores..
- 68% of buyers buy new books and read atleast 1 book per year..
- India is the 6th largest publishing market globally and the 2nd largest market for English language books.
- YouTube Video of Naveen where he talks about Notionpress
- Notionpress on Twitter
- Notionpress on LinkedIn
- Naveen’s LinkedIn profile
This post was updated on 2016-03-02